so here’s the truth: i do love me some sweets. i love ice cream, i have a weakness for red velvet (what ever that is….), i think there is probably nothing better than a fresh crêpe with chocolate….. and living next to doughnut plant (the only place i eat doughnuts form) is not so easy when you are trying to cut out sugars…. not only for weight-loss, but because they are bad, bad, bad for you…. and you know it.
but i finally found something that helps! and it’s not going to come as a surprise that the solution is my new obsession: essential oils!
after shared with you how switched my skin-care to essential oils, has my skin lookin getter than ever…. today i’ll introduce you to the power of grapefruit essential oil and will give you 6 big reasons how they can improve your health and wellbeing.
(1) i have been using grapefruit essential oil when i need a little pick-me-up, because the smell of grapefruit is uplifting, soothing and clarifying. it’s known to relieve stress and bring on feelings of peace and relaxation. when inhaled, its stimulating effects also make it effective for reducing headaches, sleepiness, brain fog, mental fatigue and even poor moods. sometimes i also use grapefruit oil as a mild, natural antidepressant* since it can increase alertness while also calming the nerves.
(2) and now i learned that it can also help reduce sugar cravings!
limonene is one of the primary components in grapefruit oil, and has shown to balance blood sugar levels and reduce appetite. studies also show that grapefruit oil affects the autonomic nervous system, which acts to regulate unconscious bodily functions, including functions related to how we handle stress and digestion. limonene is also known to be a tumor-fighting, cancer-preventative phytochemical that protects DNA and cells from damage. which – let’s be honest – is much more important than reducing sugar cravings….
and there is more!
(3) natural antibacterial agent: grapefruit oil has antimicrobial effects that help reduce or eliminate harmful strains of bacteria that enter the body through contaminated foods, water or parasites. research shows that grapefruit oil can even fight strong bacterial strains that are responsible for food-born illnesses, including E. Coli and salmonella. grapefruit is also used to kill skin or internal bacteria and fungus, fight mold growth, kill parasites in animal feeds, preserve food, and disinfect water.
(4) reduces inflammation: the blood vessel-dilating effects of grapefruit may be useful as a natural remedy for PMS cramps, headaches, bloating, fatigue and muscle pains.
(5) aids digestion: increased blood to the digestive organs — including the bladder, liver, stomach and kidneys — means that grapefruit oil also helps with detoxification. it has a positive effect on digestion, can help you shed fluid retention, and fights microbes within the intestines, gut and other digestive organs.
(6) beauty weapon: many commercially made lotions and soaps contain citrus oils because they help to fight bacteria and greasiness that can cause acne blemishes, but it may also be useful for keeping your skin’s immunity strong against pollution and UV light damage — plus it may even help you get rid of cellulite. grapefruit oil also helps cleanse your hair and scalp thoroughly and reduce greasy hair, while adding volume and shine. plus, if you color your hair, grapefruit oil might also be able to protect strands from sunlight damage.
so now you probably really want to give it a try, but might not be sure exactly how to use it….. which is why i made you a list of my 10 favorite ways to use grapefruit oil, that i would love to send you!
*a 2002 study published in the journal of japanese pharmacologyinvestigated the effects of grapefruit oil fragrance inhalation on sympathetic brain activity in normal adults and found that grapefruit oil (along with other essential oils like peppermint oil, fennel and rose essential oil) significantly affected brain activity and relaxation.